How To Apply For Services

People are referred to VMRC by schools, hospitals, doctors, other families, etc.

When they or their families contact VMRC, persons three years of age or older are assigned an Intake Coordinator whose job is to acquaint the applicant and his/her family with VMRC and its services, coordinate the diagnostic and eligibility determination process, and provide any needed short term interventions.

An interdisciplinary team consisting of the Intake Coordinator, various specialists, and the family, determines whether the applicant has a substantial handicap caused by a developmental disability. This process requires written evaluations and various diagnostic tests (usually at least a medical, psychological or developmental evaluation).

Youngsters under three years of age are referred directly to an Early Start Intake Coordinator who begins the eligibility determination process. It is important to meet legally-mandated timelines so that the child and family can begin receiving services as soon as possible.

Who to Contact for Services:
To refer a child or adult for an assessment of eligibility call any VMRC office.

In San Joaquin County call: (209) 473-0951

In Stanislaus County call: (209) 529-2626

In Amador, Calaveras and
Tuolumne County call: (209) 754-1871